"There is so much writing in English on Japanese cinema that can't be accepted at face value — not because the writers are careless, but because the differences in culture and language are just too intricate. When I see August Ragone's name on a piece of writing, it gives me permission to place my faith in it completely. Among Japanese fantasy film historians, he's the best working in English." —Tim Lucas, Video Watchdog

Sunday, January 3, 2016

TOHO'S NEW "GODZILLA RESURGENCE" EXPOSED
Private Photos Taken at Toho Studios Leaked!

シン•ゴジラが露出!禁断の写真は発行されました!


A face only a mother Godzilla could love... Clearasil, anyone?

Earlier today, a number of low-res images began appearing on Twitter and Facebook featuring shots taken of the "monster suit" from Toho's upcoming production of GODZILLA RESURGENCE, directed by Hideaki Anno (Evangelion) and Shinji Higuchi (Attack on Titan), bowing this coming July 29th in Japan.


Heavy radiation damage from H-Bombs or the Fukushima disaster?

This will probably be the most divisive Godzilla design since Patrick Tatapolous' deviation for the 1998 Roland Emmerich debacle. Anno's conceit recalls the initial concept for Godzilla by Ishiro Honda, as a literal victim of the H-Bomb — his scales resembling keloid scars — and may not be his only form or mutation.


Might this nightmarish Big G be regenerating or is he decomposing?

Design for this new, nightmarish Godzilla was executed by Mahiro Maeda (Mad Max: Fury Road) and then realized as a maquette by Takayuki Takeya (Attack on Titan). Godzilla will be manifest using several different techniques, puppets, animatronics, and enhanced by digital effects, with the main "suit" operated by three people.

Now, I've been privy to other images and information, but promised to not make them public, and will adhere to that promise. But, now that the cat is out of the bag in regards to today's images (which aren't those I was allowed to see a while back), and there's no way to stop the further proliferation of them to the public.

Personally, I wish that the person who leaked them hadn't, so we could've had authorized, high-res images when the official news eventually came. In that regard, please stay tuned to this blog for further information and news on GODZILLA RESURGENCE as it develops!

Here are my previous reports on GODZILLA RESURGENCE:
December 11, 2015: Meet the"Godzilla Resurgence" Composer
December 10, 2015: The "Godzilla Resurgence" English Poster!
December 9, 2015: Japanese Press Reveals Shin Godzilla's Size
December 9, 2015: Scoop! Teaser for "Godzilla Resurgence"
December 9, 2015: Here's Your Big G in "Godzilla Resurgence"!
November 12, 2015: "Shin Godzilla" Promo Reel Screens at AFM!"
September 22, 2015: Toho Announces Three Principal Cast Members!
September 6, 2015: Shooting Begins on Toho's "Godzilla 2016"!
August 1, 2015: Did These Men Design Toho's New Big G?
April 1, 2015: The Directors of "Godzilla 2016" Speak!
March 31, 2015: "Evangelion" Creator Helms New "Godzilla"!
December 7, 2014: The "Japanese Godzilla" Will Rise Again!

14 comments:

Unknown said...


All I have to say is that I'm blown away at how dark and scary the design is. He's definitely not a friend to children in this one!

DannoOMG said...

August, have any of your contacts working on the movie comment on whether they are liking the way the project is turning out?

John Rozum said...

These aren't the most flattering images. In the context of Godzilla being a victim of radiation himself, the disfigurement makes sense with his staring, lidless eye on a heavily damaged side of his head, he's like the Two-Face of Kaiju. His tiny, withered, T-Rex arm is weird looking amidst the chest musculature. I'm sure this won't be a popular look, or be retained in many later films, but I like what I'm seeing so far. It reminds me of what was initially being attempted post Godzilla 2000, with each subsequent film meant to be a stand alone sequel to the original 1954 film. Since GMK was my favorite Godzilla film after the original, this has me filled with hope.

Unknown said...

I have a feeling that this is not the big man. But yet a foe created by man to fight him hence its disfigurement. Unless it is big G or well the old one as to where it give its life force to lil g like in godzilla vs destroyer

Gothzilla said...

Being that all Gojira series are continuations of the original film, I wondered if this was again the case when I 1st saw images of the new "suit" a few months back. Those were much higher res than these and showed a great deal more detail. My thought was, in large part due to the similarity to the '54 design, if we are seeing him regenerating not from the Atomic Bomb, but from the Oxygen Destroyer.

sharksinthegenepool said...

Not sure how I feel about this look yet. On it's own I'm not that crazy about it, but put in the context of the style of film that I suspect is coming it may work perfectly. I don't really mind them changing how Godzilla looks (I actually didn't even mind GINO's look) just so long as it acts like Godzilla (which is where GINO falls apart as a film). Having said this, I'm still far more excited for this one than I am for Gareth's sequels. Liked the 1st one, and felt that he captured the spirit of the G films pretty well, but I'm actually not that excited that they're bringing in Mothra and KG yet again, and then the Kong follow up, which has the potential of being laugh out loud silly. Resurgence sounds like it will be more my alley, so hopefully this G design fits.

Toxicavenger said...

Looks like beef jerky, worse than Godzilla 98

Unknown said...

Thanks August for helping us out. I love it. So very Ugly. I hope he is really nasty.

Michael said...

thanks as always for keep us Godzilla fans in the loop with the latest news!

Toolen said...

Ugh! Why did you have to mention the 1998 film? No one considers that a genuine Godzilla film. Toho even changed the name of the monster once they got the rights back, and openly mocked it in two subsequent Godzilla films. Oh,many it wasn't divisive. It was hated almost universally. The Monster in it didn't look or act like Godzilla, the writing was terrible, there were glaring inaccuracies, and the monster was killed far too easily, even if it took a while for them to trap it. As a typical Kaiju film, it is all right, but as a Godzilla film, it is complete garbage.

August Ragone said...

Toolen,
My quote on that film was, "the 1998 Roland Emmerich debacle." The keyword is "debacle", meaning "a sudden and ignominious failure; a fiasco. A failure, catastrophe, disaster, mess, ruin; downfall, collapse, defeat; foul-up, screw-up, hash, botch, washout, snafu".

That pretty much sums up my feelings on that travesty. I'm insulted that you believe, for one second, that I somehow "like" that bomb. ;)

Cheers,
August

khonore said...

I don't know where I heard this one but someone talked about the mutated look is that something revives the '54 Godzilla after he is destroyed by the Oxygen Destroyer. I'm taking that one with a huge kaiju size salt block but that might possibly explain his looking like an massive nightmare or What If Deadpool merged with Godzilla?

Gothzilla said...

Actually, if you look back a few comments, I said that on Jan 3rd.

harada57 said...

I'm insulted that you believe, for one second, that I somehow "like" that bomb. ;)

จีคลับ